ACHASM Symposium Belmont Square, Rondebosch, Cape Town, 20 October 2015
The symposium theme 'A Team Approach to Zero Fatalities, Injuries, and Disease' focuses on mitigating and ultimately, eliminating fatalities, injuries, and disease, in particular, fatalities.
This focus will include the interface between clients, project managers, construction H&S agents, designers, quantity surveyors, contractors, insurers, government, and other stakeholders.
The theme was identified due to the increased media coverage afforded the construction industry in terms of ‘accidents’, in addition to the incidence of fatalities, notwithstanding the fact that ‘one fatality is one too many’.
The 4th Association of Construction Health & Safety Management (ACHASM) symposium will provide a forum for construction industry stakeholders to address construction H&S related matters with specific emphasis on mitigating and ultimately, eliminating fatalities, injuries, and disease.
However, the contribution by and interface between all stakeholders will be addressed.
The symposium will be commercial in nature and aims to stimulate interaction between all the stakeholders active in the industry.
The broad objectives of the symposium are to:
- Educate and inform all stakeholders with respect to the concept of zero fatalities, injuries, and disease;
- Interrogate the role of clients and designers in terms of their role in construction H&S;
- Promote the practice of construction H&S risk management;
- Promote professionalism and leadership in managing and implementing construction H&S, and
- Provide a platform for exchanging ideas and networking with likeminded professionals.
Representatives of the following organisations that have confirmed thus far will present at this unique symposium: ACHASM; Construction Industry Development Board (cidb); Federated Employers Mutual Assurance (FEM); Master Builders Association Western Cape; NMC, and South African Council for the Project and Construction Management Professions (SACPCMP).